Discord is one of the biggest platforms for instant messaging, voice, text, video, and image sharing nowadays. It is available as an android app, IOS app, desktop app, and web-based software. From time to time its popularity increased and now it has millions of users. As it nowadays is a popular app, especially for gamers, errors like “RTC connecting” is quite frustrating.
RTC connecting/ No route is an error that often occurs to discord users usually to a poor internet connection. But there can be other reasons for RTC connecting errors on your discord application. If this problem occurs constantly and you can’t use any voice channel for this you can try some solutions discussed here. In this tutorial, you can find some causes and also solutions on how to fix RTC connecting on discord.
What does RTC connection mean on Discord mean?
Discord uses the Real Time Chat protocol (RTC) to establish a connection for users to talk on voice channels. If it fails to establish the connection it may be due to the issue of the poor internet connection from the user-end or the discord server getting issues. You can easily check if the discord server is running well or not on their discord status website. If there is no issue with their server then everything is shown as operational on the status. You can also check the voice server list math of the server you’re on to see if it’s operational or not. If everything is fine on their website but you’re still getting an RTC connection error then the problem lies with your device or internet connection.
Possible fixes for RTC connecting/No route error on discord
The root of the problem may lie in the internet connection or device system that’s preventing discord to establish a connection on the voice channel. here are things you can try:
- Restart the router or reboot the network
- Change browser for web-based discord app
- Change voice channel region override
- Update network driver
- Update GPU driver
- Change DNS server
- Clear network cache in the cmd on windows
- Change voice and video setting options
- Make sure of discord’s proper installation
- Run a virus scan for possible virus attacks.
Restart the router or reboot the network
In usual cases, your poor connection is the cause of the RTC connecting error on discord. Before trying another solution you should first restart your router or unplug and plug your modem from the device and then check your internet speed. After that, restart your router, restart discord and check if you can join the voice channel without the RTC connection error.
Change Browser for web-based discord app
As discord is also available on the browser, the root cause of RTC connecting on discord can be the browser problem. Try switching to a different browser and check if you still find the same problem. The recommended browser would be Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge.
Change voice channel region override
Changing the server region that the voice channel is running on can sometimes fix the issue with the RTC connection. It’s easy to change the region override of any voice channel on your discord server. Note that only the administrator of the discord server can change the region override.
How to change the discord server voice channel region
first select a specific voice channel to change the region. take the mouse cursor beside the voice channel name and click on the setting icon.
After entering the setting of the voice channel on the “Overview” page scroll down to the end and find the region override option and select a close and suitable region from your location to check if that solves the RTC connecting problem.
Update GPU and network driver
Updating the GPU driver and network driver of your device may solve the RTC connecting error on discord. Both the GPU driver and network driver update can be done from your device manager settings.
How to update the GPU driver
go to the windows search box on the taskbar and type “Device manager” and click on the Device manager option. All the list of drivers will be shown on the device manager. here scroll down to Display adapters select the suitable driver and update it in the following way-
select Update driver on the suitable driver and click on the option.
Then click Search automatically for drivers and windows will automatically update the GPU driver.
How to update the network driver
Same as above go to Device manager and find the Network adapter and update the suitable driver for your device.
Then select Search automatically for drivers and windows will automatically update the network adapter.
Change DNS server address
A domain name system (DNS) is assigned by ISP (Internet Service Provider) which translates the domain name that humans can read to IP addresses that machines can read.
Changing this DNS address to a mostly used DNS like that of Google or Cloud flare can fix the RTC Connecting issue on discord.
How to change the DNS server address
Follow the steps below to change the DNS setting:
1. Go to the search box on the taskbar and type “Control panel” and select Control panel.
2. In the control panel click on the Network and Internet option
3. After that click on the Network and Sharing Center.
4. On the left panel click on the option “Change adapter settings” option.
5. Here you’ll find an Ethernet option (if you’re using an ethernet cable for the internet) or WiFi. Right-click the suitable network option you’re using for the internet (in this case WiFi) then select and click properties.
6. On the property setting scroll down and select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) then click on properties
7. Now click on Use the following DNS server address option and enter the following values:
preferred DNS server: 18.104.22.168
Alternate DNS server: 22.214.171.124
8. click ok and restart discord to check if it still works.
Clear the network cache in the cmd on windows
Clearing the network cache in windows may help solve the RTC connecting error on discord. Especially if you’re using the discord web-based application on any browser this solution may help fix your RTC issue. There are many ways of clearing the network cache but running the command line on windows is more convenient and easier to do. Follow the steps below to clear the network cache in cmd on windows.
How to clear network cache in the cmd on windows
1. Go to the windows search box (or click the window key) and search for “cmd” and be sure to select “Run as Administrator” which will open the black screen of the command prompt for windows.
2. Enter the following command and hit enter serially one by one to complete the clearing network cache:
3. Restart your computer and check if the RTC issue got fixed or not.
Change voice and video setting options
If the above steps didn’t work for you then the problem may lie with your discord settings which may not very compatible with your device. For different devices, these settings may work or may create voice, video, or streaming issues on discord. Changing voice and video settings options may solve the RTC connecting issue on discord. Try enabling or disabling these options and every time when enabling/disabling an option you should restart discord check if the RTC connect issue got solved or not and save the setting.
How to open and change the discord voice and video setting option
To open your discord voice and video option first find out the setting icon on the bottom left corner of discord. Click on the setting icon.
Then scroll down and click on Voice and Video option from the left which will open all the setting options for the discord voice and video.
Now try Enable/Disable the following options and every time you toggle an option to enable/disable restart your discord. And also check whether it is solved or not. If it fixed the issue then keep the setting. If the setting still doesn’t work then keep the previous state as before changing.
1. On the Voice setting scroll down and find OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco System, inc in the VIDEO CODEC section. If it is disabled then enable it or if it is enabled then disable it and restart the discord to check if RTC connecting got fixed or not.
2. Just below the above option find H.264 Hardware Acceleration in the VIDEO CODEC section. If it is disabled then enable it or if it is enabled then disable it and restart the discord to check if RTC connecting got fixed or not.
3. If the above options didn’t work then scroll down further and find Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority known as QoS in the QUALITY SERVICE section. If it is disabled then enable it or if it is enabled then disable it and restart the discord to check if RTC connecting got fixed or not.
4. If still the option doesn’t work then on the voice setting find the AUDIO SUBSYSTEM section and choose the option as Legacy if it is saved as Standard and vice versa.
Be sure to restart discord every time changing an option or go back to the previous state of these options. For most of the users changing these options fixes RTC connecting error on discord. Be sure to check them all.
Make sure of discord’s proper installation for fixing RTC connecting on discord
If the RTC connecting on discord still got issues after applying the above methods then there may possibly be a chance that discord couldn’t get installed properly. Make sure to install the discord from their official website and choose the right version for your computer. Check your system type and install the right version 32-bit or 64-bit. Even though it can automatically suggest the proper version for download, make sure to reinstall it properly.
Run a virus scan for possible virus attacks for fixing RTC connecting on discord
For the final step, you may consider a possible virus attack on your device for which applications like discord misbehave. A virus can prevent any program’s healthy running and distress your device. Not only discord but also browsers can misbehave due to viruses, malware, or trojan attacks on your device. To solve this issue a good and recommended anti-virus software is needed. A very good and recommended anti-virus is Malwarebytes which you can download easily and use for free. It may surprise you how much harmful software it can detect and work against all of it. Search Malwarebytes on Google and go to their official website to download it. After the installation scans the entire device. You may find multiple harmful programs on the scanned result and quarantine them. Then restart your device and run discord, it may fix the RTC connecting on discord.
In this article, some possible fixes for the RTC connecting on discord are discussed. Following each of the methods above can fix the issue on discord.
Apart from these methods, you should also try
- Use a proper VPN or stop VPN if you’re using one
- check internet speed or connect to another device to check
- Use mobile data for ensuring that device settings are okay for RTC connecting
By any means feel free to ask any questions or put feedback regarding the above article.